James Family Cellars
2009 Stony Pinot Vineyard Pinot Noir
Pinot Noir • Stony Pinot Vineyard
California: Sonoma Coast
Gold upon Gold
A brilliant follow-up to the past vintages that we’ve featured - and loved - today’s delicious 2009 James Family Cellars Stony Point Vineyard Pinot Noir exceeds our high expectations for this long-time Wine Spies winery.
Very balanced and delightful with wonderful fruit, earthiness and subtle spice working together in perfect harmony. Darker and more rich than many Sonoma Coast Pinots that we’ve featured, this wine has the look of a red blend while delivering an experience of flavor and aroma that is decidedly Pinot Noir.
Winemaker Terry Adams has been making Sonoma County Pinot Noir for decades. He has made award-winning Pinot Noir Sonoma-Cutrer Vineyards,Dutton Estate, Chateau Souverain and other prominent wineries.
Drinking beautifully now, we look forward to seeing how this wine progresses over the next year or two, Decant for 30 minutes - or give it a vigorous swirl and this highly recommended wine really springs to life.
Very dark and rich-looking with darkest ruby hues through a slightly opaque heart.
Light, warm and easy-going aromas of black cherry, bramble, dark cherry and dried red rose petals with hints of subtle tobacco, leather and cinnamon.
Darker and more concentrated on the palate than the nose indicates, leading with dried blueberry, black cherry, plum and bramble.
Fruit, spice and earthy notes linger medium long. At the tail end, date and a very subtle hint of dried ginger appears for a moment.
Pair this darkly juicy Pinot with fancy kabobs. We’ll be enjoying ours with a grilled New York strip with a mushroom sauce.
What the Winery Says
2009 PINOT NOIR Sonoma Coast
- TWO GOLD MEDALS!
- Pinot Noir Shoot-Out
U.S. National Wine Competition
- The Pinot Noir
- Juicy cherry with hints of raspberry flavors pop from the glass along with a breath of roses and vanilla on the nose. Silky caramel, dark cherry, strawberry and vanilla mingle on the palate while berries and plum grace the finish. Delicious tonight, or enjoy to its fullest over the next 4-5 years.
- The Story
- Owners Jeff and Judy James, along with their two sons who are 4th generation Sonoma County agriculturalists, founded James Family Cellars. James Family Cellars is a family-owned boutique winery that is dedicated to the production of artisinal wines that showcase the world-class grapes that they grow. Jeff and Judy planted their vineyard in 1998. They have been selling grapes for many years to premium wineries in Sonoma and Napa Counties. After winning several awards for the amateur wines they produced from their grapes, they decided in 2007 to follow their dreams and start James Family Cellars. Jeff and Judy are committed to producing the highest quality wine possible, which is reflected in the limited number of cases released.
- The Vineyard
- Stony Point Vineyard is located in a particularly cool area of the famed Sonoma Coast wine growing region. Situated on the northern edge of the Petaluma Wind Gap and less than sixteen miles from the coastline the vines are influenced by the Pacific Ocean daily. This cool climate, combined with the sun exposure provided by the southern-facing hillside vineyard, creates a lowyielding slow-ripening environment that is perfect for Pinot Noir.
- Cases Produced
- 448 cases Clones: 113, 115
- Varietal Composition
- 100% Pinot Noir Vineyard: Stony Point Vineyard
- Sonoma Coast Harvest Dates: 10/1/2009
- Barrel Aging
- 10 months in French Oak (33% new) Alcohol: 14.2%
About the Winery
We planted our vineyard in 1998 and had our first harvest in 2000. We have long sold our grapes to Schramsburg Winery in Napa County for their premium sparkling wine program. After winning several awards for the amateur wines we produced from our grapes, we decided in 2007 to take the leap and start James Family Cellars.
James Family Cellars is dedicated to reaching the pinnacle of what Pinot Noir can be–a marvelously aromatic and flavorful wine. We are committed to quality and this is reflected in the limited number of cases released.
Our vineyard is located in a particularly cool part of the famed wine growing region of Sonoma County. We are less than twenty miles from the coast and our climate is affected daily by the ocean. This cool climate, combined with the sun exposure provided by our southern-facing hillside vineyard, creates a low yielding, slow ripening environment which is perfect for Pinot Noir.
This is a family enterprise, involving our two sons and other family members. We are all involved and dedicated to the same goals. We enjoy being part of our region’s agricultural and wine businesses and strive to always produce wines which delight our customers.