Gamble Family Vineyards
2010 Sauvignon Blanc
Sauvignon Blanc • Gamble Vineyard
California: Napa Valley
The sure thing
This is a terrifically fresh and elegant wine that our tasting panel absolutely loved.
This 2010 Gamble Family Sauvignon Blanc seduces you upon opening with its complex and inviting nose. Fresh fruit aromas meld with mineral and flowers, giving lush clues about the flavors to come. On the palate, the wine is soft but very vibrant, giving it a wonderfully balanced feel.
Enjoy this gorgeous summertime white all on its own or with a variety of foods. Very highly recommended for our white wine-loving Operatives.
Fine straw yellow with perfectly even coloration from core to edge.
Very complex on the nose, with even doses of green fig, lemon leaf, freshly cut hay, limestone, orange blossom, walnut shell and savory herbs.
Fresh and vibrant with lush flavors of lime, underripe white peach, nectarine, apricot and white tea out in front. Limestone and grapefruit round out the palate.
Very long and elegant, with fruits tailing off very gradually, eventually giving way to grapefruit and minerals.
An assorted vegetable tempura with a light dipping sauce would be a real treat with this wine, as would a plate of hard cheeses and dried fruits.
What the Winery Says
2010 “GAMBLE VINEYARD” SAUVIGNON BLANC
- At Gamble Family Wines we strive to make truly memorable wines which are delicious and well balanced; wines which are made all the more enjoyable when paired with good food, good friends and those you love. Vineyards and Harvest
The twelve-acre Gamble Vineyard sits at the northerly edge of the Yountville Appellation in the geographic center of Napa Valley. This superb site, framed by rugged mountains to the east and west and bound by two rivers, is warm enough to develop Sauvignon Blanc’s tropical fruit flavors, yet cool enough to retain its natural fruit balance and crispness. Tom Gamble chose his bud wood by massale selection, a traditional practice of obtaining cuttings from great vineyards possessing highly desirable traits. Half of the Gamble vineyard is planted to the Sauvignon Musque clone, a third generation of the original bud wood brought from the Loire in the 1950s. The other half is planted to the Preston (Lou Preston) clone, descended from the Graves region of Bordeaux. We farm organically to achieve healthy and balanced vines. Our fruit is hand-harvested cold, in the early hours of the day, and taken directly to the press to preserve fruit and flavor integrity.
- We picked fruit from the vineyard on eight separate occasions and fermented all lots ranging in size from two to nine tons separately. The first lot of grapes came in to the winery on August 30th and the last lot on September 8th. By harvesting so many times and managing so many different fermentations we were able to gain several benefits. The early fruit helped to preserve the wine’s crisp acidity. The wine made from the later picks had greater depth of flavor. To further increase complexity we fermented 26% of the fruit in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks, where slow (65 days), cool fermentations (as low as 41F) resulted in clean, bright, tropical fruit flavors. The remaining 74% was fermented in barrel in the cool cave, contributing enhanced mouthfeel and lightly-spiced honeycomb flavors. Native yeasts were allowed to work on both the tank and barrel wines, slowly turning the sugars to alcohol and imparting yet greater dimensions of texture and flavor. Each component had its unique character and when finally blended together created a wine that has great complexity and layers of flavor.
- Winemaker Jim Close’s Tasting Notes
- Fresh aromas of guava, honeysuckle, honeydew melon and fig. A focused line of acidity frames a myriad of flavors: quince, lime, guava and nectarine with a hint of smoky flint. Moderate alcohol and rich textural elements provide a perfect platform for this summer citrus cocktail to sing.
- 48% vrais Sauvignon Musque de Loire, 52% Preston Sauvignon Blanc
- Gamble Vineyard, Yountville, Napa Valley
- 74% in barrel on the lees for six months, 26% in stainless steel on the lees for six months
- French (Remond, Marchive, Bel Air) & Hungarian (Kadar) oak (17% new)
- 0.77 g/100mL
- Cases Produced
- 2,350 cases
- Suggested Retail
About the Winery
“My most lasting memory of childhood is dirt. Playing in dirt. Walking in dust behind the tractor. Wearing out our jean seats sliding down shale hillsides. Wandering aimlessly on foot, horseback and mini-bike all summer long—enjoying everything the dirt and our climate gives to life.”
His boyhood days often began before sunrise; herding cattle, working irrigation lines and emulating older ranchers and farmers from the back of the pack. Even when he left the valley, attending college, Tom held fast to his roots, where the Gamble family first came now four generations ago.
Tom purchased his first vineyard in 1981. He is the first member of his family to make wine, but hopes he is not the last to work the land. Gamble Family Vineyards is his legacy for future generations, inspired by the hard work of generations past.
Tom Gamble is a farmer first, which is fitting. Good wine begins on the vine.