Coeur de Terre
2010 Estate Pinot Noir
Pinot Noir • Estate Vineyard
Oregon: Willamette Valley
Heart in heart
92 Point Pinot Alert
We are absolutely crazy about today’s superb Coeur de Terre 2010 Estate Pinot Noir ** and we offer it to you with our **boldest recommendation. We work hard to find you the best wines, the hidden gems, the real treats of the wine world - and today we have a wonderful wine for you.
Coeur de Terre winery is situated in the center of the small McMinnville AVA, which is in the heart of Oregon’s Willamette Valley. Perfectly suited to Pinot Noir, McMinnville is home to the superstars of Oregon Pinot. Coeur de Terre is the best we’ve tasted from this region.
If you love earthy, complex, delicious Oregon Pinot Noir - or any fantastic Pinot for that matter - you’ll also fall in love with today’s very special wine.
92 Points, Wine Enthusiast - “This superfruity wine is ripe, bearing a juicy raspberry flavor that’s round and delicious. Suggestions of leather and stem add interest; the fresh, zippy acidity keeps the long finish lively.”
90 Points, Stephen Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar.
Slightly opaque with black cherry juice hues. Slightly darker at the heart.
Very balanced, with earth and dark fruit playing out in even proportion. Black cherry, sweet spice and young strawberry are balanced against mushroom, dark tobacco, cedar and wet fall leaves.
On the palate, this wine shows excellent balance, with bold, dark fruit of black cherry and mixed berry compote that are balanced against forest floor, leather, mushroom, cedar and dried fall leaves.
A very pleasing and elegant finish that goes on and on forever. Dark fruit and forest floor persist for a very long time.
Enjoy this wine with a wild mushroom risotto or a filet mignon with mushroom sauce.
What the Winery Says
2010 ESTATE PINOT NOIR
￼Handcrafted – Organically Farmed – Artisanal Wines
Coeur de Terre 2010 Estate Pinot Noir
- Tasting Notes
- This is quite possibly the best Estate Pinot Noir produced from Coeur de Terre Vineyard. On the nose, signature Coeur de Terre minerality and earth gives way to a nose punctuated with freshly cut cedar boughs, dried oregano, cranberry, pomegranate, cherry and brambly overtones. On the palate, there is a pronounced sour cherry, cranberry and a sense of very integrated high quality oak. The texture of this wine is spectacular with a weighty mid palate and a finish that persists. This wine is beginning to show its depth and will continue to elevate over the next decade. ￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼ Harvest Date
- October 24th, 2010 Brix at Harvest: 22.9
- Finished TA
- Finished PH
- Vineyard/ Blocks
- Coeur de Terre Vineyard’s Estate grown fruit only, using a selection from Renelle’s Block, Sarah Jane’s Block, Abby’s Block, and Tallulah’s Run. The Estate bottling makes use of vibrant fruit from younger vines combined with more mature fruit from Renelle’s Block for structure and balance. All CdT Vine- yard blocks are farmed organically.
- Cold soak for 3 days at 50°F, fermented to a maximum temperature of 89°F over 7 days, and then free run and press directly to barrel (combination of indigenous and commercial yeasts). All barrels were left on lees preferentially and only racked if necessary. We used commercial ML culture and prefer slow ML ferments in cool cellar. Final barrel selection was transferred to tank for blending, allowing to marry and settle for clarification (no filter or fining) before bottling.
- 14 months in Barrel, New Oak 30%, Once Fills 30%, Twice Fills 30%, Neutral 10%.
- February, 2012
- Cases Produced
- Release Date
- August 2012
About the Winery
The Coeur de Terre Family
We moved to the Willamette Valley in the spring of 1998 in pursuit of creating the next great Pinot Noir as well as creating an environment where our family could thrive. We believe in working sustainably with nature to create a healthy environment for our vines and family. We came to this special place after getting lost on Memorial Day weekend in 1998 scouting out potential vineyard sites. We ran across a then out of the way place that showed great promise for growing quality Pinot Noir. After spending many weeks of walking the land and analyzing the soils, we decided this would be the future home of Coeur de Terre. We moved into our new home on Labor Day weekend that year and set to work developing the site.
The first undertaking was to plant Renelle’s Block. This 3 acre block was planted by us with significant help from family and friends. From this humble beginning, another 13 acres of Pinot has been established along with building our gravity fed winery located mid-slope of the estate.
We are very hands on and are responsible for all aspects of the vineyard and winery operation. All new plants are grafted at the estate in our greenhouse from hand selected vines in our vineyard, all viticulture activity is directed by us and all winemaking is done onsite by us in micro sized lots keeping all blocks separate until final bottling.
CdT is truly a family business and we take great pride in what we have created. Please come join us and see what makes this place so special.