W3 - William White Wines
2006 Napa Valley Merlot
California: Napa Valley
The best gets better...
Today’s wine comes to us from one of our most popular wineries, W3 Wines in the Napa Valley. Their W3 (formerly Caymus vineyard) Cabernet Sauvignon is one of our best-selling Cabs of all time, so when Agent Red had the chance to snap up every last bottle of W3’s 2006 W3 Wines Napa Valley Merlot, he wasted no time!
This elegant and extracted Merlot is a true delight that we offer to you with our heartiest recommendation. If you were a fan of the W3 Cab, this wine will delight you just as much. If you are a fan of fantastic Merlot, you’ll be very impressed.
This wine really evolves in the glass; the more you swirl it, the more complexity, richness and character it exudes. This is no wallflower Merlot. Think a Merlot for classic Napa Cabernet Sauvignon lovers.
Gorgeous maroon hues through a darker and slightly opaque heart of garnet ink.
Lush and layered with brilliant black cherry, smoky pomegranate, sweet tobacco, sweet brown spice, blackberry and blueberry compote, violet tea and earth.
Rich and structured with concentrated dark fruit of black cherry, stewed blackberry and braised fig, smoky blueberry, subtle dried herbs, India black tea leaf and dried violets.
Front of the mouth tannin drives fruits to the far corners of the palate as the wine slowly dries the entire mouth and puckers the lips.
Grilled lamb chops with rosemary and lemon, served with a side of red potatoes and pearl onions.
What the Winery Says
- Winemaking Notes
- The 2006 vintage brought us one of our longest hang times we have ever seen with Merlot. This allowed us to really mature the tannin in the skins and develop a Merlot with rich flavors, full body and supple tannins. We handle the Merlot in the winery a variety of ways to really bring out some of the best qualities of the varietal. A portion of this Merlot was pressed off sweet to retain some fruit forward aromatics, while others were macerated for 30+ days to really make use of the mature tannins in the skins. Then the wine is aged to full maturity in French Oak barrels. We blended a small amount of Cabernet Franc into this vintage to add some complexity to the nose and increase the palate weight.
- Vineyard Notes
- These vines are planted on our premium Pocai Vineyard location, in one of the warmest locations in the Napa Valley. This vineyard is ideal for ripening mature tannins and flavor in our Merlot grapes. The 2006 vintage brought an average year with an extended cool period at the end. That gave this vineyard incredible hang time and concentration. The rockier soils of this vineyard site accentuated these attributes to bring about the highest quality grapes our vineyard can yield.
- Tasting Notes
- A classic Merlot in its own right. this wine has bright fruit aromatics that are balanced well by tea leaves and tobacco spice. The initial characteristics of cherries, strawberry, and red apple blend well with the subtle hints of sage and pipe tobacco. The palate is silky smooth while retaining the full luscious mouthfeel we’ve come to expect from a Napa Valley Merlot. The finish on this Merlot has great length and dimension. This wine should have the longevity to age well, but tastes very delicious right now. We feel this wine has classic characters of a Northern Napa Merlot.
- Varietal Composition
- 95% Merlot & 5% Cabernet Franc
- 100% Napa Valley
- Harvest Date
- Sept. 25”‘ to Oct. 23”‘, 2006
- Harvest Brix
- Average 24.8°B
- Barrel aging
- 16 months in French oak barrels; 33% of which is New
- Finished Alcohol
- Titratable acidity
About the Winery
W3 - William White Wines specializes in sought after Napa Valley varietals such as Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. The winery, based in St. Helena, California, produces rich, fruit forward, and outright delicious wines.