2008 The Novelist White Blend
The Lost Art
Sell out alert: Today’s 92 Point, Best of Class wine is very limited and will not last the day. Please make your purchase soon to avoid disappointment.
It is a true delight to find a white wine that has aged so well. Producing such a white wine is a lost art for many wineries, but Cosentino has perfected it with today’s 2008 Cosentino Winery Meritage, The Novelist.
The delightful brightness that comes from the Sauvignon Blanc is balanced by the wonderful complexity of the Sémillon. The Sémillon contributes delicious floral and savory notes in the wine.
Very few white wines are built for aging. Wineries often opt to produce ‘ready to drink’ wines that can be enjoyed soon after bottling. When a white is crafted to age, it is something quite special, indeed.
Light golden yellow with glinting highlights at the edges.
Very clean and very fresh with lovely notes of honeysuckle, lime leaf, lemon cucumber and green apple presenting up front. Underneath these, toasty vanilla and just a hint of fresh ginger add complexity.
Lime flower, lime, citrus peel, young white raspberry, honeysuckle and green apple give way to cantaloupe, limestone and a hint of caramel.
Bright fruit gradually gives way to caramel and dusky oak. At the very end, subtle flavors of ginger ale and anise emerge.
A big salad with fresh fig, spinach, walnuts and soft goat cheese would be an amazing pairing.
What the Winery Says
2008 Cosentino Winery - The Novelist White Meritage Blend
- Tasting Notes
- Fresh lemon blossom, honeydew melon and quince raise the curtain on this aromatic wine. Youthful and bright tangerine citrus flavors are well-balanced by the palate’s somewhat creamy notes and elegant minerality. Honey, tangerine and lemon peel meld in the zesty and expansive finish.
- Wine Type
- Bottle Size
- Vineyard/Special Designation
- Napa Valley (65%), Lodi (25%), Lake County (10%)
- Meritage Varietal
- 77% Sauvignon Blanc and 23% Semillon
- Alcohol content
- French oak
- Release Date
- Winemaker Notes
- Fermentation and maturation was divided among oak upright tanks (30%), stainless steel tanks (20%) and French oak barrels (50%).
- Case Production
- 2012 California State Fair - 92 points and “Best of Class”
About the Winery
Cosentino Winery produces more than 30 award-winning wines, hand-crafted from small lots of high quality fruit.
Inspired by the artistic approach to winemaking and the natural characteristics of the grapes, Mitch Cosentino lets his palate guide him.
The production of each wine varies from year to year, based on the quality and yield of the vintage.
“I want the art developing the business,” explains Mitch Cosentino, “not the business creating the art.”